Thursday, January 9, 2014

Me and My Hair

I promised myself that I was going to write a post on my hair with pictures but I didn't know it would be this soon.

I was recently chatting with my best friend from primary school. We’ve been friends for over twenty years. And we are still best of friends. We are both married now and she has moved to another state but we keep in touch almost every week.
We started sharing pictures of our current hairdos and got to the issue of hair. She has a very huge afro and she wanted to know what I had on. I have on a very Janelle Monae inspired hairdo. It actually Ghana weaving and it took a lot of thought and research by me. Somehow along the line I actually forgot to update her on the issues I have been having with my hair for the past two years.




After I had my son and then my daughter I started losing my hair in patches. Three patches to be specific. I went to the doctor and after a series of questions he scheduled me for steroid shots on my scalp. That was the first and last time I did that.. It was too painful. My brother-in-law and my bestie, S are both doctors and both of them tried to encourage me to continue with the treatment but I refused. The steroids messed up my system too much and I just couldn’t imagine continuing. One major step to figuring things out in your lives is information. You have to hunger for more information. The more information you have will determine the quality of your decisions. So I keep reading about this thing called ‘hair’. The steroids would probably make me put on weight amongst other things.. That was a definite no-no. I’d rather be skinny and bald. In fact I put up a picture of renowned model, Alek Wek. I am that confident. I kept trying different hairdos some were good choices, others were horrible choices… they just made the patches bigger. 



So one day in June 2013, I just asked my hubby to cut it all off. You hear all these sexy decisions to do the ‘ BC’ .. mine wasn’t. I just wanted to be free from this ‘hair’. We went as low as possible without cutting my scalp and then I started all over again. I started wearing wigs, headwraps and scaves.


For my current hairdo I had to get a blowout on the back. My hair is longer on the back and I wanted to take advantage of that to cover up the front plus the constant combing was wearing my hair out. It needed a rest. I needed a rest too. I had got a blow out on the back so I’m dealing with two textures now but I actually wanted to cut my hair at the back a little lower to get a more uniform look so that works and I’m fixing a weave next so I will just have to deal with that then.

So yes I pop pills to help my hair, and I think about my next two looks way ahead down to the date and hair treatments.. yes,Planning is very key. It helps reduce the possibility of bad hair days and I plan in line with my lifestyle. I’m a busy mum of two so I can’t spend hours doing my hair every morning. I work out a lot so it has to be sweat resistant to an extent. So yes I read all the hair blogs and posts for information and inspiration but at the end of the day I realize this journey I have to find my own path. I even know I don’t want long hair. I have a picture of my ideal hair.



I still read all the natural blogs and stuff but I admit I am not #team natural and I am even not #team relaxed , I’m simply #team healthy and easy to wear hair



No comments:

Post a Comment