Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Much ado about Lupita Nyong'o

Quite a lot has been said about Lupita Nyong'o, from her flawless skin to her striking red carpet choices and her bold lip colours. Lupita is a hot topic. You only need to google Lupita Nyong'o to realise she is Hollywood's It girl. Now don’t get me wrong I think Lupita is stunning and I can’t get enough of her but for something else. Every time I see Lupita step out on the red carpet what strikes me the most is her self-confidence and poise. Lupita is not a fluke. This lady works hard. It is quite obvious that Lupita has been preparing for this moment for a while.


I heard a message once while I was in Uni and it has stuck with me since. The speaker said unlocking your success is like the padlock with the grooved key. You know the keys that have different groove marks along the stem and to unlock the padlock you have to do a series of turns like turn a little to the left and then turn it round and so on. And he asked if it is the first turn or the last turn that unlocks the padlock that rather it is the series of our life experiences. Both the good and the not-so-good. All of these experiences sum up together in one way or another to unlock our talent and passion.


I remember watching Lupita on Shuga a couple of years ago and it took a while for me to figure out that she’s the same person in 12 years a slave. From her background, to furthering her studies it is pretty obvious  that Lupita has been honing her craft preparing for this moment.



So like the duck don’t stop working on that dream. Go the extra mile. Burn the midnight oil. Do what you have to do. It's not going to be easy. Don’t stop honing your craft. Don’t stop opening yourself up to life experiences. Because the sum of all these experiences is the key to unlocking your passion. 

Love Zansi 

No comments:

Post a Comment