Wednesday, April 2, 2014

A Word.....

I don’t know why but this happens to me a lot. I start out with something in mind to write about. I think about it for days from different angles and then a couple of days before I put pen to paper or rather put my fingers to my keyboard I change it all …

I started out with a post for Makeup 101.. yes I know there are over one million posts on make up but wait till you read mine.. but on my way to work last Thursday other thoughts started gathering in my mind.
So that’s what ‘ A Word’ is about…  

It’s about inspiring a woman out there. I had these thoughts during International Womens’ Day but I never got around to it and now Mother’s Day seems equally perfect.

I can’t remember how many times I've heard from one friend or the other about some dream inside their heart that is either long forgotten or just lying fallow.
And I know how this feels and I feel it is such a shame. I can’t even begin to describe how interesting and animated I get when I engage someone that is doing something about their dream. It is so exciting.
But I also know how difficult it is to connect your dream to your reality. It is hardwork. Add to it other factors like children or a husband or work or age in different degrees and variations and it gets even harder.
And so on and on it looks like other’s are achieving your dreams, your goals... and you are there watching them do it… That sucks!

It seems like somebody out there is doing something you always wanted to do. Somebody out there is writing your books, singing your song, acting your parts, writing your scripts or creating something and you watch them on TV, listen to them on the radio, read about them in the media and it feels like ‘them-them’ but guess what these people need YOU probably even more than you need them. The actors need YOU to watch their movies and the writers need YOU to read their books. They are not any more or any less confident that you are! In fact I beg to argue that before anybody reaches a certain level of success  we all suffer from a bit of insecurity from time to time… a can-I-can’t-I kind of feeling.

So why not find a way to start. Doing it little by little. Polishing your craft along the way. And sometimes the same idea from your youth may not work any longer so you tweak it a little. I have to admit it may mean some sleepless nights but if it’s something you love something you desire, a few sleepless nights will mean little or nothing. You may need to get creative. You may need to work on it during weekends or at night and you’ll probably need a whole lot of planning. And somehow as your start you may stumble sometimes and question yourself other times but as you keep on creating your confidence starts to build up with each try, Honest!

In Secondary school I somehow “fell” into Science class. I use the term “fell” loosely because at that point in life I didn’t really have a clear thought of what I wanted to be. My sister fell into Art class. From this point on I never drew art again except the straight lines of Technical drawing and my sister was considered the “artist” the creative one. Fast forward years later I took a course in fashion and I got inspired by life forms. I can shamelessly say that right now I draw much better than my sister. It wasn’t easy but I was interested. I carried my small sketchpad around with me and I got my hands on some materials and I started teaching myself. I may not be the best at sketching but I’m pretty good at it.
That's my eye in the corner.. .. haha no its not! I think the I need to go pee hand in the air figure is supper cool!
I even signed my name and date at the corner like a real "artist" I can hear my sister's voice in my head saying faaaackiie faaaackie!

I don’t know how to say this but I've probably had more fun blogging than it is cool to admit. I've learnt so much about SEO,Crowd funding and some pretty cool stuff. I am quick to admit I’m not as witty as Afambewbew (yes he calls himself that)  and Ofili, neither am I as ‘fashionable’ as Fisayo Longe of mirror me, Toyin of soho sister or j’adore fashion nor do I cook up a storm like Dooney’s kitchen and Chef Fregz. In actual fact when I get on Chicsimo or Pinterest I’m looking for ways to style jeans and flats over and over again (in case you didn't know before I wear jeans ALL the time because of the nature of my job) and when I get on food gawker it’s to check out kiddie friendly recipes that don’t require more than six ingredients or something that my son will not take one look at and declare it “yuck”. 
But I have had so much fun checking out their blogs, I believe even more fun than they had writing it. And I don’t just check what you write I tell somebody to tell somebody about it. I refer to it in my conversations. If I think what you are doing is cool. I refer to it over and over again.
So please if you have an idea, a thought in your head a beat in your heart and you just don’t know how to connect from A to Z.. please drop a mail zansisgroove@gmail.com let’s talk about.

Love Zansi.

P.S
Happy Mothers Day!! Hugs and Kisses… mmmwah!!


1 comment: